Würzburg is looking back to 1300 years of local history. In the Middle Ages the town – since 742 a bishopric – became an important economical an clerical centre. Today it is a lively and innovative university town with a lot of tradition.
Around 1200 began the construction of Marienberg Fortress. Today’s huge structure was enlarged in late medieval and Renaissance times. It was for many centuries the seat of Würzburg’s prince-bishops.
The most superb gothic Church in Würzburg’s historical centre is Holy Mary Chapel. Together with next doors Falcon House it shapes the marvel of lively Würzburg market square.
At the very end of the Middle Ages the well-known sculptor Tilman Riemenschneider lived in the city. Also today many of his outstanding works of art bear witness to his great mastery.
The Würzburg Residence, built according to the design of Balthasar Neumann since 1720, has been on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1981. It is a real highlight of European baroque art and demonstrates the prince-bishops’ entitlement to representation and power.
St. Kilian’s Cathedral was started to be built around 1040. It is the fourth largest romanesque cathedral in Germany.
The so-called Grafeneckart has been the seat of the city parliament for more than 700 years now. It is one the oldest town halls in Germany.